Summary Notes from Time Management for System Administrators by Thomas Limoncelli:
1. Keep all your time management stuff in one place - your work and personal appointments, to do list, calendar, goals, etc.
2. Focus on the current task; use external storage to record/remember everything else.
3. Develop routines for things so there are no oopsies or important items left undone or forgotten. A good routine is to start each day with our to do list, estimate duration to complete each task, prioritize the tasks, schedule them to be completed, and work the schedule.
4. Pre-compile decisions by developing habits and mantras. Habits such as using the first quiet hour of the day to work projects, or to put gas in your car on the same day every week.
5. Maintain focus during work tasks- do not allow distractions like email, internet surfing, IM, etc to derail you. Study in a quiet environment whenever possible.